For us, sustainability is a big subject. It informs every decision we make and steers how we interact with the people and organisations we engage with, the world’s resources we use in order to fulfil our business and the waste we produce in so doing. Chiefly our objective is to ensure that we engage with everyone fairly and honestly, additionally that we minimise both our impact on the world’s resources and any harmful waste we produce.
We have achieved a lot in improving our sustainable credentials, having been awarded the highest possible Food Made Good Rating of 3 Stars by the Sustainable Restaurant Association. However, we are the first to confess that there is always more to do. It’s a journey with no destination.
Below are a few things we do and would encourage all to try to do some if not all of them:
- Send no waste to landfill, everything is recycled
- Buy only UK Free Range meat and poultry
- Ensure our fish is sustainably sourced and MSC certified
- Use as much UK seasonal produce as possible
- Minimise our water and energy use
- Use only plant based PLA plastic (or recycled plastic if PLA is not available)
- Keep our own bees
- Make our own jams, chutneys and cordials from UK produce whilst in season and in abundance
- Always be completely honest with everyone we engage with
Repair rather than renew, buy 2nd hand when possible